Saturday, June 9, 2012

What is AA obession with long hair?

I don't really get why AA women are obessed with having super long hair. It's interesting bc I hear so many women say "I became natural bc i want long and thick hair." And oftentimes they get upset when their natural hair doesn't grow or is not as full as they see someone else's hair. Everyone is not meant to have super long hair or even thick hair down their back. That's genetics. I find it interesting to see/ hear people obession with it... Maybe its because I have always had long thick hair. It's really nothing special about it. It's just hair. And coming from someone who has thick hair its more work and more maintenance.Now don't get it twisted I Love my hair. I always have. I never had an issue with my hair. No matter if it was relaxed, loose natural, and now SL. My hair has changed with my personality...short, long, braids, weaves, even wigs. I even went from twa to a huge Afro. I really didn't do much with color... My hair doesn't like color that much. I remember when i tried highlights my hair did not like It. After that if I wanted the look of color I would have it sewws in... But i really love the color black. Thank God that is my natural hair color..lol.

Maybe women who have never had long hair before go natural to achieve this look. I had women look at me really strange when i say i don't want long SL... They go why don't you want long hair/Sl. Now some may say that i started my sisterlocks long... I don't think that 7-8 inches is long. I think its long enough to do the styles I want. I am just at a point in my life that anything pass my shoulders is just too long for me. Plus I know me and I know my hair... Although sisterlocks are lightweight, mainly bc you don't have any product in them. I still don't want a lot of weight weighing on my head.. I am fine with my length now. It's just my hair has not dropped yet. So it shrinks up. Which is what happened when i had loose natural hair. So its no surprise.

At this point I am rambling. But help me understand. Someone who wants long natural hair or long sisterlocks what is your obbession/ reasons for wanting it?

posted from Bloggeroid

1 comment:

  1. I think your assumption is correct. AA women who have never had long hair obsess over it. The perms that most AA women have had in their heads for years has prevented our hair from growing as long as it can grow. Now with this SL remedy we can grow our hair as long as we want without perming it. Another fact, i believe, that contributes to AA women wanting long hair is society and the media. Most women are considered beautiful if their hair is long and flowy. This is just my personal opinion and observation

    ReplyDelete