Sunday, February 12, 2012

u got ALLLL THAT from my locs???

I was chatting with someone today at the store and they asked me about my hair. I told them that I had sisterlocks. This person then proceeded to say,“Oh you have locs so you must have an intellectual enlightenment and discourse, and are 'culturally aware' because of your locs. You got all that from a hairstyle. Lol. I didnt know locs made statements like that. lol.I am culturally aware and college educated, I do enjoy neosoul music,and I am somewhat afro centric but I digress. Assumptions of one's intellectual or cultural awareness should never be made based on one's physical appearance...I think all of us, wheather our hair is loc'd, natural hair, or relaxed are on the same path, just different points...Has anyone ever made an assumption about you based off your hair?

2 comments:

  1. I got that when I first went natural. People just assume that I'm into neosoul music, I'm afro centric, I eat organic food the list continues...some of that DOES apply to me, but I'm just like umm...how does the way I choose to wear my hair say all of that?! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I fit all the sterotyoes.lol.. My second degree is African American and African studies. lol

      Delete