Thursday, December 1, 2011

Goodbye Afro, Hello Sisterlocks


My fro Aug. 2011

What made you go natural and how long have you been Natural? Did you transition or BC?
My last perm was in 2007 and I BC on April 17, 2009, which means I have been natural for almost 32 months. It may sound cheesy or really simple but I literally woke up one day and thought "Why do I have to have a relaxer? What is wrong with my hair the way it is?" From there I transitioned for about 16 months. It wasn’t that hard for me because I transitions with various types of braids and I cut my perm ends off bit by bit.  Eventually, I had a stylist do my BC and have not looked back since.
SN: If you would like to see pictures of my natural hair journey along with tips on how to maintain your natural hair click on THIS LINK  or PICS LINK to my natural hair pages.
What made you decide to loc your hair?
You know I find it funny that I am pursuing getting locs because I'm that person who always has some sort of protective, creative hairstyle. Also as soon as I BCed my hair my personal goal was to have my afro grow and get so big that when I went to the movies the person behind me would be upset.lol. Well, I reached my goal. lol. I was also the natural who said I would never get locs.
Ultimately what brought me to the loc side was I was at a turning point in my natural journey. I was either going to cut my hair back down to a TWA or do something else to it.  I say that because my hair is thick and takes some time to do. And to be honest, I was getting really tired of detangling my hair. I wanted to have a ready made style, that all I had to do is just get up and go.

SN: Also it is really rare that I even wear my loose hair out in a fro unless I am get my ends trimmed, and then I would twist my hair back up.
That’s when I began researching locs. Though I never thought I would get them, I've always admired locs even before my natural days. Then one day I just stumbled upon Sisterlocks. I couldn't believe they were....locs! I mean they were so tiny; they almost resembled loose natural hair. I was in awe and amazed. I researched Sisterlocks and, l as you know I am trying to get them.
Below I have posted some pictures of my hair over the years...

my hair before I BC back in 07
 



my hair 2 wks after I BC my twa (May 09)
  



summer 2010. it has grown so much


  Now onto my next hair journey....SISTERLOCKS!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment