Thursday, January 19, 2012

Natural hair meetup

Hey everyone... so I went to a natural hair meetup for the first time. And guess what the topic was...you guessed it Locs! The shop was so nice. I loved the chairs. The owner and other stylists do hair,manicures, pedicures, and waxes. Inside the shop were books about African Americans hair and her clients could read those while getting their hair styled. I should have taken pictures but I did not want to look like a tourist. She had a massage chair that massage your back while you were getting your hair washed. Talk about an experience.Lol. ( The shop it is called Twist... Also their website is twistnatural.com)The owner of the shop was really nice and schooled me on a lot of things related to locs. It was a small group of about 3 women and their locs were so pretty. The owner showed us How to do some styles and gave us some tips. The conversation we had was very free-flowing, enlightening, and encouraging! We discussed natural hair in society, how our cultural embraces natural hair, natural hair in the work force. Along with some other topics. No matter where you were in your journey, it was great to get feedback from everyone and hear everyone's thoughts and concerns on how to educate and embrace your hair and natural self.  The meet-up cover more than just hair, but also embarked on how to be a better person as a whole. The owner had pictures of locs and something that I thought was cool was that one of the women had a 'LOC JOURNAL" I love that idea. I am def. going to start doing that. I am kind of doing that now with this blog but I like the idea of walking around with one. I got a start on my journal with some of the pictures that the showed us.  My goal is that by the end of 2012, I will learn how to do at least 2 hair styles on my own with my Sisterlocks. I learned one tonight. I really enjoyed myself and I am so glad I came. Having natural hair is such a blessing. I mean how many relaxed women do you see meet up and talk about about hair or topics like we discussed tonight. You meet so many people having natural hair. The owner touched on alot of good points throughout our meet up. Too much to type but I really enjoyed talking to everyone.
SN. The owner makes products at her shop.. I picked up a brown sugar scrub and a sea salt soak... Below I took a picture... But if anyone is in the St.Louis area I would Def. Tell you to check out her shop. It's called Twist... until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment